Sydney Sweeney, 28, has reportedly emerged as the leading contender for the part in Universal’s revived adaptation of Britney’s 2023 memoir, “The Woman in Me.” A Hollywood source says she’s “become one of the names generating the strongest interest,” with “the profile, range and familiarity with Britney’s image” that make her an obvious pick, though there’s no final decision yet.

The project stalled for months over its direction and how involved Spears would be. The source says her earlier reservations about revisiting personal chapters have given way to “more productive” talks, and she’s now expected to have significant input.

Millie Bobby Brown, Addison Rae, Bailee Madison and Kylie Schultz are also in the conversation, and Brown has been vocal about wanting it. “When I look at pictures of her, I feel like I could tell her story in the right way, and hers only,” she told Drew Barrymore.
Wicked director Jon M. Chu is attached, with New Girl creator Liz Meriwether writing the screenplay. The film traces Britney’s rise from young performer to global pop star and the 13-year conservatorship overseen by her father, Jamie Spears, 74, that ended in 2021. Songs including “Baby One More Time,” “Oops!… I Did It Again” and “Toxic” are meant to run under the story.

Meriwether called the memoir’s audiobook “one of the best audiobooks that’s ever been made” and said Britney’s words “broke my heart in so many ways.” Chu says they’re still early: “We will take it step by step. I think that the way is slowly and empathetically.”
If this resonated, follow Thought Catalog on Facebook and explore more stories on our website.
0 Comments