Liza Fitzpatrick has been named among the best dressed attendees at Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce’s wedding last month. Her husband, former NFL quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick? Not so much.

Fitzpatrick, 43, talked about the wedding on the Aug. 20 episode of his podcast Fitz & Whit with Andrew Whitworth. He and wife Liza attended the July 3 ceremony at Madison Square Garden, where Liza wore a strapless pleated emerald green gown and Ryan paired a black suit with a matching emerald tie and a black top hat.
At one point, Ryan thought he’d been recognized by Tom Hanks. “I make eye contact with Tom Hanks. So, I’m like, ‘This guy, he knows who I am. Bill Murray knows who I am,'” he recalled, watching the 70-year-old actor point and start walking toward him from about 20 to 30 feet away.

But when the actor spoke, it was only to deliver some ruthless fashion advice. Ryan says Hanks told him, “Just so you know, that’s a huge faux pas. You’re not supposed to wear a top hat at a wedding. That’s saved for the groom.” Hanks then walked away without saying another word.

Fitzpatrick still can’t read that exchange. “It was, like, 50% that he was serious, 50% that it was a joke. I am not sure which,” he said. “He has no idea who I am. I’m the guy that wore the top hat.”
Whitworth said Ryan looked “absolutely crushed” when he came over to relay the story, guessing Hanks might have been testing him with sarcasm. “Your face read he was serious. You got reprimanded.”

There was almost a second sting waiting. Ryan and Liza, married since June 2006, had gone to the wedding hoping to survive an anniversary dance, where couples step off the floor by years married until only the longest-married pair remains. “We’ve been married for 20 years. We got a chance,” he said. “But Tom Hanks and Rita, they were gonna be better than us.” Hanks and Rita Wilson married in April 1988.

“Yeah, it wasn’t great. Wasn’t great,” Ryan said of the hat exchange. “But you know what? It was a great night. We had a lot of fun.”
Thank you for reading. Catch all of Thought Catalog’s latest on Facebook and our website.
0 Comments