Hi! I’m Arianna, and I was 35 when I started a GLP-1, but my decision to take one actually began during my second pregnancy.
While I was halfway through my pregnancy, I was diagnosed with Alport syndrome, a genetic kidney disease. It was an extremely challenging pregnancy with all of the health complications that arose (that did not happen with my first). A few months after giving birth, my nephrologist suggested that I look into GLP-1s because he believed they could be beneficial for my kidney health based on my individual situation.
That conversation sent me down a research rabbit hole. I wanted to know everything before making a decision, so I spent months researching side effects, costs, and other people’s experiences.
My insurance would not cover the medication because I did not have diabetes, so after researching my options, I eventually decided to go through a telehealth provider.
March 11, 2025, I took my first shot.
By that point, I was over 200 pounds, which was my first time being in the 200s. I was only a few months postpartum with my second baby, dealing with insulin resistance, inflammation, low energy, joint and foot pain (also plantar fasciitis), and constant food noise.
More than anything, I did not feel like myself anymore.
I had never been used to living in a body that felt so uncomfortable to me, and my confidence had taken a huge hit. I understand that after having kids, our bodies take time to heal, but I was already in the 200s before I got pregnant, and I was struggling with all of these issues for a few years beforehand. I basically lived in leggings and oversized T-shirts because I did not feel comfortable wearing anything that showed my body. I avoided pictures, sadly even some with my family, which I regret now. I should have just taken the pictures. I just felt so insecure because of my weight.
For years, I tried exercise and eating healthier with whole foods. I tried Whole30 and keto and was maybe able to lose 4 lbs., but the scale kept getting stuck.
One of the biggest surprises after starting a GLP-1 was how much quieter my mind became around food. For the first time, making healthier choices did not feel like a mental battle that consumed my entire day.
Within a year, I lost 60 pounds and have kept it off with healthier habits and a microdose of GLP-1. But what I’ve gained has been the best part of it all.
I gained my life back. I gained my energy back. I gained my confidence back.
Today, I can put on a pair of jeans and a fitted shirt without immediately wanting to cover myself up. That might sound insignificant to someone else, but when you have spent years hiding underneath baggy clothes, feeling comfortable wearing normal, form-fitting clothes again feels huge.
I have more energy, moving my body is easier, and I am more active with my kids. I also started taking better care of myself by prioritizing protein. I track my macros, hydration, and movement. My life genuinely feels better because I feel better.
Eventually, that confidence started spilling into other areas of my life.
After losing 60 pounds, I felt like I needed to share my experience on social media. I remembered how much time I had spent searching for real people sharing their experiences when I was considering starting, and I thought maybe my story could help someone else.
Posting those first videos for the world to see was terrifying. I remember after publishing my first before-and-after post, I hid my phone the rest of the day because I felt so embarrassed. Putting such a vulnerable part of myself online was very much out of my comfort zone, but I knew I needed to. Because maybe someone would be inspired by my story.
What happened afterward was something I never could have planned.
My content started reaching people I had never met. People began messaging me with questions, sharing their own stories, and telling me that something I posted had helped them. Since then, I have been able to help thousands of people who were considering GLP-1s or navigating their own journeys.
Sharing my story also unexpectedly opened doors in my career. Alongside the esthetics business I already own, I have been able to build another stream of income through social media, content creation, partnerships, and opportunities that came from simply putting myself out there.
None of that was my intention when I started posting.
I did not share my story because I was trying to build another career. I shared it because I knew how confusing and overwhelming the beginning could feel, and I wanted my experience to help someone else.
The irony is that I am writing this article for Thought Catalog because I made that decision. If I had allowed myself to feel too embarrassed or “cringe” to post my story, I wouldn’t have this opportunity either.
When I look at everything that has changed since I took my first shot, the 60-pound weight loss is obviously a huge part of my story, but it is no longer the whole story.
Getting my confidence back made me willing to put myself out into the world again. Putting myself out there allowed me to connect with and help thousands of people while creating opportunities and an entirely unexpected second career.
My journey started because I wanted to take control of my health.
I had no idea I was also taking the first step toward getting my life back.
0 Comments