Holland got his start dancing in “Billy Elliot the Musical” in the West End, then walked away from dance the day he finished. Now he’s returning to the same London studio where it began, this time to become Fred Astaire.

The Fred Astaire biopic was announced five years ago, and Holland has only just taken his first rehearsals for it, in the middle of back-to-back press tours for “The Odyssey” and “Spider-Man: Brand New Day.”


“As soon as I finish with these tours, I’m diving back into the dance studio,” he told George Stephanopoulos on “Good Morning America.” Those early sessions rattled him. He said they filled him “with excitement and absolute dread because I’ve got so much work to do to try and do Fred proud.”

His plan is to match how Astaire actually worked: “no doubles, to do all of the dancing [myself], to shoot those dances in one shot.” On “Live With Kelly and Mark” the next day, he framed the role as the closing of his career’s first act and a move into work that scares him. “What I’m looking for in this next chapter is like the ultimate challenge, and to find things that really scare me.”

One regret drives it. After “Billy Elliot,” he quit dancing, and the biopic has brought him back to the central London studio where he first rehearsed as a kid.
Thank you for reading Thought Catalog. Keep up with us on Facebook, or dive into more on our website.
0 Comments