Anne Hathaway Asked for a Fencing Scene in Princess Diaries 2 Because She Wanted It to Be Sexy. After One Lesson, Production Quietly Switched Her to Archery

“I asked to have a fencing plot line in Princess Diaries 2 because I thought it would be kind of a sexy scene to have like, you know, me and Nicholas fencing. One lesson and the instructor was asked to kind of tell production how I was doing and suddenly I was an archer. No, it’s really hard. That’s how well I did. I couldn’t… It’s really hard. Nothing could have confused me more.”

One fencing lesson was all it took for the “Princess Diaries 2” team to move Anne Hathaway to archery.

A young man stands behind a woman in a blue dress, helping her aim a bow and arrow outdoors in a garden.
A young man guides a woman through her archery form outdoors, helping her draw the bowstring in a garden setting — the sport Hathaway ended up with after her fencing ambitions were quietly shelved. Credit: The Princess Diaries 2.

She’d asked for the fencing plot herself, picturing something between her and co-star Nicholas that read as sexy on screen. Then the instructor was asked to tell production how she was doing.

Two people in white fencing suits face off with épées on a grass lawn, with spectators and garden hedges in the background.
The fencing scene that never was: two figures in full white fencing gear clash with épées on a manicured lawn while onlookers watch in the background. Made with Google AI.

“Suddenly I was an archer,” she said. “No, it’s really hard. That’s how well I did. I couldn’t. It’s really hard. Nothing could have confused me more.”

If this resonated, follow Thought Catalog on Facebook and explore more stories on our website.

Post a Comment

0 Comments